B Corp Certification is based on three essential pillars: verified performance, public transparency, and legal accountability. Alone, none of these pillars are sufficient. It is the combination of all three that make the B Corp Certification unique, credible and significant.
B Corp Certification is available to any for-profit business regardless of size, industry, corporate structure, or location.
Steps to Certification: It's as Easy as 1-2-3
Step 1: Meet Performance Requirement
The first step in becoming a Certified B Corporation is taking the B Impact Assessment, which assesses the overall impact of your company on its stakeholders. The assessment varies depending on the company's size (number of employees), sector, and location of primary operation. Completing the assessment typically takes 2-4 hrs; we encourage using your best estimates the first time around. Once you've completed the assessment, you will receive a B Impact Report that contains an overall score.
Step 2: Meet Legal Requirement
The value of meeting the legal requirement for B Corp certification is that it bakes sustainability into the DNA of your company as it grows, brings in outside capital, or plans succession, ensuring that your mission can better survive new management, new investors, or even new ownership.
Currently, B Lab East Africa does not require companies registered in East Africa to change their company’s constitution and other documents as a condition to B Corporation certification.
Step 3: Make it Official
Sign the B Corp Declaration of Interdependence and Term Sheet.
Term Sheet Summary:
• Certification term is two years; after two year term, company recertifies
• Meet the performance requirement for B Corp certification
• Meet legal requirements appropriate for your particular corporate structure and country of incorporation
• Participate in an on-site review if randomly selected (10% of Certified B Corps randomly selected each year)
• Annual certification fees based on the tiered structure below